Fire Safety Advice is issued following a series of fires that started in the kitchen

Royal Berkshire Fire and Rescue Service (RBFRS) has issued safety advice following a series of fires that started in the kitchen at domestic properties.

Between Friday 9 and Sunday, 11 February, Thames Valley Fire Control Service received reports of five fires that started in the kitchen across Royal Berkshire.

The three incidents of note are:

At 6.12pm on Saturday, 10 February, Thames Valley Fire Control Service received reports of a fire at a property on Lowfield Road in Caversham, Reading.

Royal Berkshire Fire and Rescue Service crews from Caversham Road and Wokingham Road Fire Stations were sent to the scene.

Upon arrival, crews found a fire in the kitchen so two firefighters in breathing apparatus used a hose reel to extinguish the fire. Crews also treated a woman for smoke inhalation before handing her over to the care of South Central Ambulance Service and were on the scene for around 55 minutes.

At 1.02pm on Sunday, 11 February, Thames Valley Fire Control Service received reports of a fire at a property on Maryside in Slough.

Two Royal Berkshire Fire and Rescue Service crews from Slough and one from Langley Fire Stations were sent to the scene.

Upon arrival, crews found a fire in the kitchen of a first floor flat, so two firefighters in breathing apparatus used a fire extinguisher to put out the fire. Crews were on the scene for around 35 minutes.

At 9.48pm on Sunday, 11 February, Thames Valley Fire Control Service received reports of a fire at a property on Mallory Avenue in Caversham, Reading.

Royal Berkshire Fire and Rescue Service crews from Caversham Road and Dee Road Fire Stations were sent to the scene.

Upon arrival, crews found a fire in the kitchen so two firefighters in breathing apparatus used a hose reel to extinguish the fire. After the fire was out, firefighters carried out a Home Fire Safety Check on the property. Crews were on the scene for around 55 minutes.

Steve Beard, Station Manager, said: “Fortunately no one was seriously hurt at any of these incidents but kitchen fires can be very dangerous and can cause a lot of damage to the property.

“We encourage residents to test their smoke alarms regularly so that they can be confident that the alarms are in working order at your time of need.

“In an event of a fire please get out, stay out, dial 999 and ask for the fire and rescue service.”

For more information on how to keep you and your family safe in your home visit www.rbfrs.co.uk/your-safety/safety-at-home/

If you know someone who is 65 or over and has mobility issues, please visit our Home Fire Safety Check page to see if they qualify for one.