Family has lucky escape after aerosol can explosion

A family had a lucky escape after an aerosol can exploded during a fire in the bedroom of their house.

Three crews of firefighters from Slough and Windsor fire stations responded to a call on Spencer Road, Slough at 4.27pm on Thursday 20 April.

While at the scene, they used two breathing apparatus and one hose reel to extinguish the fire. The stop message was received at 4.54pm.

Fortunately the family had been able to escape the blaze, but substantial damage had been caused inside the property.

An aerosol can had been heated up, causing it to explode. Several of the windows in the house were broken as they were forced out by the can exploding.

Firefighters concluded that the fire had been started accidently but issued a warning about the serious fire risk posed by aerosol cans.

Sean Keeley, Station Commander at Slough Fire Station said: “This is not an isolated incident, as we have attended several fires recently involving aerosol cans.

“Aerosol cans are highly dangerous. They contain flammable products which have been stored at pressure and should be kept away from a naked flame at all times.”