Firefighters from across Berkshire dealt with a number of incidents during the 24 hours to 8am Thursday and two of these were fires in people’s homes – one of them being a chimney fire.
The incidents from 8am on Wednesday 29 March to 8am on Thursday 30 March included two fires in kitchens and one in a chimney.
At 12.43pm on Wednesday 29 March, a crew from Wokingham Road Fire Station were called to a fire in the chimney of a house on Castle End Road, Ruscombe.
Three people were in the house when, having used the fire all through the winter, they noticed the fire wasn’t burning properly.
A Wokingham Road crew went to the scene, used a chimney kit to extinguish the blaze and then put a thermal imaging camera on the chimney to ensure the fire was out and found another pocket of fire.
Station Manager Chris Davis said: “The crew were there around four and a half hours in total to make sure it was safe and that they got the job done with as little damage as possible.
“They did a good job and worked long and hard throughout the day.”
Firefighters had to work carefully and methodically to ensure they got to all the areas of fire and put them out.
Other incidents of note across the county included a fire at 1.20pm on Wolf Lane, Windsor, that crews from Slough and Langley fire stations went to.
Firefighters found there had been a fire in a microwave but it was out by the time they arrived.
South Central Ambulance Service (SCAS) also went to the scene to treat a 90-year-old woman for the effects of inhaling smoke.
You can find out more about fire safety in the home on the Royal Berkshire Fire and Rescue Service website here.