Advice issued after extension lead starts shed fire

Garden Shed

A shed fire in Thatcham is believed to have been started after a cable reel extension lead overheated, causing severe damage to the shed.

At 3.33pm on Sunday, 9 December, Thames Valley Fire Control Service received reports of a fire at a property on Mount Road in Thatcham.

Two Royal Berkshire Fire and Rescue Service crews from Newbury Fire Station and an Officer were sent to the scene alongside a crew from Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service.

Upon arrival, firefighters found a shed on fire. Crews worked hard to get the fire under control as two firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used one hose reel to extinguish the fire. Two further firefighters wearing breathing apparatus ventilated a surrounding property.  Crews were on the scene for approximately one hour and 43 minutes.

Station Manager, Nev Griffiths said: “If you spot a fire please make sure that you call 999 and don’t try and tackle the fire yourself.

“I would like to remind residents that if you are using a cable reel extension lead, then you must ensure that they are fully unwound to prevent them from overheating. This is particularly important at this time of year when you may use extension leads to provide power to decorative lights.”

For more information on how to keep you and your family safe in your home visit the Safety at Home page.