Residents are reminded to take extra care when barbecuing

photo of a grill above flaming logs

Royal Berkshire Fire and Rescue Service (RBFRS) is urging residents to take extra care in the warm weather, particularly whilst barbecuing.

This warning comes, following an incident over the weekend where a fire was caused by a barbecue that had been disposed of the day after. Due to the recent heatwave, the barbecue had then heated back up the following day.

At 1.25pm on Sunday, 15 July, we received a report of a fire in the garden of a property in Chisbury Close, Bracknell. Crews from Bracknell and Ascot Fire Stations were sent to the scene. Crews used two hose reels to extinguish the fire that was affecting two sheds, the decking area and a car. Firefighters were at the scene for around one hour and 35 minutes.

Station Manager, Stephen Beard, said:  “It’s important to remember that after cooking, you should make sure the barbecue is cool before moving it. Make sure you dispose of the ashes safely, not into dustbins or wheelie bins. If they’re hot they could melt the plastic and cause a fire.

“If you're using a disposable barbecue ensure it has cooled before putting it in the bin. To avoid starting a fire you should allow it to cool for several hours and then consider pouring water over it to make sure it's out.

“Also, if you are planning to have a barbecue, make sure you place it well away from sheds, fences, trees, shrubs or garden waste.”

For more information on our warm weather safety advice, take a look at our website here: www.rbfrs.co.uk/summersafety