Royal Berkshire Fire and Rescue Service (RBFRS) is encouraging people to spring into action and make sure that they have at least one working smoke alarm on each level. We’re supporting the National Fire Chiefs Council’s month-long drive to urge people to buy smoke alarms that they do not currently have, and test or replace ones that they do.
Group Manager, Paul Thomas, said: “Having a working smoke alarm is a vital measure which can provide you with key time to escape if there is a fire. This time of year is the perfect time to spring clean your smoke alarm by testing it and hoovering it before the summer to get rid of all the winter dust. Many people don’t realise, but you are eight times less likely to die in a fire in the home in you have working smoke alarms properly fitted and you test them on a weekly basis.”
Here are some of our top tips for looking after your smoke alarm:
- Install a smoke alarm on every level of your home
- The best places to fit them are at the bottom of the stairs, with further alarms on each stair landing
- The ideal position is on the ceiling, as near as possible to the centre of the room, hallway or landing
- Consider fitting additional smoke alarms in other rooms where there are electrical appliances and near sleeping areas
To keep your smoke alarms in good working order:
- Once a week – test the battery in each smoke alarm
- Once a year – change the battery in the alarm (unless it is a 10-year alarm)
- Twice a year – gently hoover over the slots to remove dust
- Every ten years – replace the entire smoke alarm
If you would like more information about smoke alarms or our Home Fire Safety Check Service then please visit: rbfrs.co.uk/your-safety/safety-at-home.