Chinese New Year, falling on Saturday, 25 January is an ideal opportunity to celebrate with friends and family. Royal Berkshire Fire and Rescue Service (RBFRS) would like to offer our residents some tips to keep you safe while you celebrate.
Take a look at our favourite safety tips here:
- When cooking, make sure you stay alert and don’t leave cooking unattended.
- If you’re using fireworks, make sure they are marked with British Safety Standard 711, and read the instructions. Don’t use fireworks if you’ve been drinking alcohol.
- We’d advise residents not to use floating lanterns because of the fire hazard and risk they pose to property, crops, livestock and the environment. If you’re planning on using them, please read our safety information here.
- Candles should be kept out of the reach of animals and children, as well as away from flammable materials.
- Make sure you have working smoke alarms on every level of your home. They can provide a vital early warning in an emergency. Test your alarm once a week and change the batteries once a year.
We hope our residents have a happy and safe Chinese New Year.