Firefighters tackle a house fire in Reading

At 11:04pm on Wednesday, 24 February, we received reports of a house fire on Amity Road in Reading.

 

Crews and Officers from Wokingham Road, Dee Road and Caversham Road Fire Stations were sent to the scene. Thames Valley Fire Control Service gave the occupants crucial fire survival guidance over the phone ultimately leading them out of the property at the rear, while four firefighters in breathing apparatus entered the home from the front. Two hose reels were used to extinguish the fire and due to smoke logging in the property, they then used a fan to ventilate the area. The occupants were then placed in the care of South Central Ambulance Service.

 

The fire is believed to be an accidental electrical fire. Fortunately, the family living there had working smoke alarms fitted in the property that alerted them to the fire, giving them time to escape.

 

Chris Holland, Group Manager, said: “This incident reinforces the importance of always having working, fitted smoke alarms in your property, which will provide warning of a fire. These will give you vital time to safely exit the property and alert the fire and rescue service. There is no doubt that this family’s working smoke alarms alerting them did save their lives.”

 

For more information about fitting and testing smoke alarms, please visit: rbfrs.co.uk/smokealarms.