Salary: £31,364 – £35,745 per annum – Grade 4
Hours: Full time – 37 hours per week
Location – Service Headquarters, Calcot, Reading
Excellent annual leave allowance of 28 days, flexible working, onsite gym, parking facilities and a Local Government Pension Scheme are available
Other information about our benefits can be found here
About the role:
Are you an individual who strives to deliver in order to improve services to the public? Do you enjoy providing a high quality service that is customer focused?
An exciting opportunity has arisen within the Business Support team for a highly motivated and proactive individual for the position of Business Support Officer.
As part of this role, the ideal candidate will be responsible for providing strategic support to the Senior Leadership Team and Directorates, this will be through a variety of tasks in different RBFRS service areas in order to support the wider organisation.
You will have the opportunity to provide dedicated support to assigned members of the Senior Leadership Team and will be responsible for providing a strategic business support function. This includes, but is not limited to, budget monitoring, project management, report writing, event management and horizon scanning.
We are seeking an individual who can operate in a political and sensitive environment and must ensure confidentiality, professional integrity and discretion is maintained at all times.
The key focus of this role is:
- To take responsibility for specified areas of business support and develop and maintain an understanding of those specified areas, and any associated systems.
- To ensure wider development of the Business Support team.
- Undertake project management, budget monitoring and prepare management and Committee reports in support of the Senior Management Team.
- Undertake analysis and research on specific issues.
- Diary management to meet deadlines.
- Prepare and draft responses including but not limited to complaints and Freedom of Information requests.
- To lead on the organisation and successful delivery of specific events and visits.
- Undertake systems based work through data entry, data interrogation and data assurance.
- Liaise with senior local and central government officers, politicians, community representatives and private and voluntary sector organisation representatives using a high level of political awareness and sensitivity.
Key role requirements (knowledge, skills and experience):
- Ability to prioritise decisions within own area of responsibility and identify possible causes of problems and conflicting demands to implement solutions in a timely manner, exercising relevant judgement.
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally with a high level of interpersonal skills
- Ability to communicate to a high standard in writing, producing documents in a range of formats to suit a range of audiences including report writing and minute taking
- High level of IT skills, using full Microsoft package
- Knowledge of relevant RBFRS policies and procedures including those relating to data protection and confidentiality.
- Experience of working in a multi-disciplinary team delivering a plan of work with competing priorities
- Able to attend venues in a variety of locations and to attend evening meetings of the Fire Authority
Application and selection process
The successful candidate will demonstrate and promote behaviours in line with the Job Profile/Person Specification and our Behaviour Competency Framework as attached.
The Behavioural Competency Framework allows us to easily identify the behaviours that drive successful performance and enables us to deliver an effective service. The behaviours detailed within the job profile will be assessed throughout the selection process.
If you are interested in applying for this position click Apply Now.
Please see the link to the Job Profile/Person Specification.
Appointment is conditional upon undertaking a Standard Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check.
Rechecks will be required in line with the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) and Recruitment of Ex-Offenders Statement.
For further details about the role or to simply discuss any adaptations or adjustments we can make to assist you in your application or with our recruitment process please contact James Pinchin, Business Support Manager at email@example.com to arrange an informal discussion.
Please note we do not accept applications via Agencies or CV’s without an accompanying application form.
Closing date for applications is 9am on 4 December 2023
It is anticipated that the assessment/interview process will run week commencing 11 or 12 December.
Anticipated start date: 15 January 2024
Please note that is your personal responsibility to check whether by applying / accepting this position it would result in any Annual Allowance implications. A breach in the Annual Allowance threshold could result in a Tax charge.
Please view our privacy notice via this link Applicant Privacy Statement.
Royal Berkshire Fire and Rescue Service values your individuality, your diversity and your dignity. All are welcome here. Inclusion, diversity and equality are principles which guide our decisions and will be visible throughout the Service, and we will continually work to improve in these areas.
We are committed to creating an inclusive culture of dignity and trust where everyone feels safe and comfortable to bring their whole self to work.
Simply: The communities we serve are varied and diverse, we should be too.
Applications are welcome for job-share or part time arrangements please enquire on application.
All applications are considered on merit alone. We are a Disability Confident Leader – if you meet the essential criteria of the role, you will be guaranteed an interview if you choose to opt into the Disability Confident Scheme (formerly known as the Guaranteed Interview Scheme).