Skip to content
Plan your trip
- Plan ahead before making a longer journey, so you can prepare for any potential delays and avoid roadworks.
Prepare your vehicle
- Check the condition of your tyres, and your tyre pressures, before embarking on a long journey, using the car, caravan or trailer’s manual as a guide.
- All four tyres should have at least 3mm of tread and should be inflated to the correct pressure – this is vital to maintaining good grip in wet and even icy conditions.
- Ensure you have enough fuel for your journey. Cars use more fuel in heavy traffic and start/stop conditions.
- Check your oil level before setting off and top up when necessary to reduce the chances of overheating in traffic.
- Ensure that your lights are working correctly.
- Top-up your windscreen washer fluid by using a good quality screenwash and ensure the wipers are working correctly.
Ensure you have
- First aid kit;
- Warning triangle;
- A high visibility vest/jacket;
- A fire extinguisher;
- An empty fuel can;
- Additional engine oil and water (for topping up);
- A light bulb kit;
- An up-to-date road map or sat-nav;
- A fully charged mobile phone and ideally an in-car mobile phone charger;
- Take plenty of water and refreshments and take regular breaks.