safety at home banner

Royal Berkshire Fire and Rescue Service’s aim is to reduce deaths and injuries from fires and other emergencies.

We work with all of the communities we serve by raising awareness of fire, road safety and preventative measures.

Our aim is to help everyone to minimise the risk of fire and ensure that you know what to do if a fire should start. Take a look at the safety advice below.

Your safety at home - icons



  • Keep looking when cooking – don’t get distracted
  • Never leave cooking unattended
  • Take care if you are wearing loose clothing
  • Don’t cook if you’ve been drinking alcohol or taking medication
  • Keep tea towels, cloths and other items away from the oven and hob area
  • Take extra care when cooking with oil as it can set alight easily
  • Keep the oven, hob and grill clean and in good working order



  • Unplug electrical appliances and chargers when you’re not using them and when you go out or go to bed
  • Don’t overload sockets- keep to one per socket
  • Look out for signs of dangerous or loose wiring e.g. scorch marks, hot plugs and sockets, flickering lights, fuses that blow or circuit breakers that trip for no obvious reason
  • Keep appliances clean and in good working order e.g. regularly remove lint from tumble dryer filters



  • Use a proper ashtray – never a wastepaper basket
  • Never smoke in bed
  • Make sure your ashtray can’t tip over and is made of a material that won’t burn
  • Don’t leave lit cigarettes, cigars or pipes unattended. They can easily start a fire
  • Take extra care if you smoke when you’re tired, taking medication, or if you’ve been drinking
  • Keep matches and lighters out of children’s reach
  • Consider buying child resistant lighters and matchboxes



  • Read the user instruction manual before operating your medical oxygen equipment
  • Never smoke or let someone else smoke near you whilst using your oxygen equipment. This includes the use of e-cigarettes
  • Make sure your home has working smoke alarms – test the batteries weekly
  • Never charge or let anyone charge batteries of e-cigarettes near you or the oxygen source
  • Make an emergency escape plan. If you would have difficulty escaping in an emergency, always keep a phone within easy reach
  • Do not use your oxygen equipment near an open flame. Oxygen should be kept at least 3m away from open flames

Emollient creams are skin products containing paraffin based products used to treat dry skin conditions and also for some patients who may be in bed for lengthy periods due to illness or impaired mobility. The creams are highly flammable and can be easily ignited. Please be aware of the following recommended advice to reduce this risk:

• Emollient creams should be kept away from fire or flames as dressings and clothing can be easily ignited – bedding can also become impregnated, increasing flammability

• Smokers should be made aware of the added fire risk associated with using the creams as clothing is likely to be readily ignited by a dropped cigarette.

For further information and governmental guidance, please see the links below:

NHS Emollient Poster


Product recalls

In line with the Chief Fire Officers Association (CFOA), Royal Berkshire Fire and Rescue Service strongly recommends that people who own appliances which are subject to product recall do not use them.

To find out if you have a product which is subject to recall, visit