Firefighters urge residents to take care in the kitchen

Firefighter helmet portrait.jpg

At 6.25pm on Thursday, 24 August, Thames Valley Fire Control Service received reports of a grill on fire at a property on Shaggy Calf Lane in Slough.

Royal Berkshire Fire and Rescue Service crews from Slough and Langley were sent to the scene.

Upon arrival, firefighters found that a chip pan had been placed in the grill of the oven. Firefighters removed the chip pan from the property and turned the oven off.

Crew Manager Dan Pithers from Slough Fire Station, who attended the incident, said: “It was accidental, one of the occupants had unknowingly knocked the oven and turned it on. This allowed the oil in the pan to heat up and start the fire.

“The homeowners called us as they were unsure how to put the fire out themselves. In any case, please get out, stay out, dial 999 and ask for the fire and rescue service. In this case, luckily there was no damage to the property.

“While we were at the property, we also used the time to fit smoke alarms for the residents.”

You can find more advice about how to stay safe in the home on our website: www.rbfrs.co.uk/your-safety/safety-at-home/.