Electrical

Electricity is a major cause of accidental fires in UK homes. Take a look at our safety advice to reduce your risk:

  • Unplug electrical appliances and chargers when you’re not using them and when you go out or go to bed
  • Look out for signs of dangerous or loose wiring e.g. scorch marks, hot plugs and sockets, flickering lights, fuses that blow or circuit breakers that trip for no obvious reason
  • Keep appliances clean and in good working order e.g. regularly remove lint from tumble dryer filters
  • Don't overload sockets  - keep to one per socket
  • Always use a charger supplied with the device or recommended by the manufacturer - using any charger other than the one intended for the battery can increase the risk of damage

  • Avoid placing phones or other electric devices under pillows or blankets whilst charging
  • Avoid overcharging your batteries
  • If you own an electric bike or scooter, do not try to add extra batteries to try to make it go faster - this could result in a fire

Product recalls

In line with the National Fire Chiefs Council (NFCC), Royal Berkshire Fire and Rescue Service strongly recommends that people who own appliances that are subject to product recalls do not use them.

To find out if you have a product that is subject to recall, visit www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk/product-recalls/