If you or someone in your home smokes you can take the following simple steps to prevent a fire from happening in your home.
- Use a proper ashtray – never a wastepaper basket;
- Make sure your ashtray can’t tip over and is made of a material that won’t burn;
- Take extra care if you smoke when you’re tired, taking medication, or if you’ve been drinking;
- Keep matches and lighters out of children’s reach;
- Consider buying child resistant lighters and matchboxes;
- Never smoke in bed;
- Don’t leave lit cigarettes, cigars or pipes unattended. They can easily start a fire.