Royal Berkshire Fire and Rescue Service does not recommend using flying lanterns (also commonly known as Chinese lanterns) because of the fire hazard and risk they pose to property, crops, livestock and the environment.
However, if you do intend to use them then please read through the advice below.
- Keep water on hand in case they accidentally catch fire
- Ensure sufficient clearance to avoid obstacles e.g. trees, power lines or buildings
- Avoid launching near roads, especially major roads or motorways
- Consider the wind direction and strength
- Consider whether conditions are dry as a result of the previous weather conditions
- Ensure that lanterns are only used by responsible adults