Residents reminded to maintain appliances after tumble dryer fire

Firefighters responded swiftly after a fire had developed in a tumble dryer.

At 7.55am on Monday, 9 October, Thames Valley Fire Control Service received reports of a fire in a kitchen on St Ronans Road, Reading.

Royal Berkshire Fire and Rescue Service crews from Dee Road and Caversham Road Fire Stations were sent to the scene.

Upon arrival they found the fire had been contained within the tumble dryer. Two firefighters wearing breathing apparatus extinguished it using a hose reel, before ventilating the property.

After the fire, crews issued a reminder to residents to ensure that their kitchen appliances are well maintained, as it is thought that a build up of fluff within the tumble dryer may have contributed towards the fire. Firefighters were on scene for around 30 minutes.

It is recommended that you follow the below tips to safely maintain your tumble dryer:

  • Clean out lint and fluff from the filter and around the door after every use.
  • Watch out for scorching or burn marks, and check for loose or worn wires.
  • Have your dryer serviced annually by a qualified engineer.

For more top safety tips on maintaining and using your tumble dryer, please visit: https://www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk/guides-and-advice/electrical-items/tumble-dryers/