Advice issued after magnifying mirror starts bedroom fire

A fire that started in a bedroom in Ashampstead is thought to have been started after sunlight reflected off a magnifying mirror and set some curtains alight.

In the afternoon of Thursday, 8 March, firefighters from Dee Road, Caversham Road, Newbury and Whitley Wood Fire Stations responded to reports of a fire at the house.

Upon arrival, firefighters found a fire in the bedroom. Four firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used two hose reels to extinguish the fire, before ventilating the property.

There was moderate fire damage to the room, and heavy smoke damage throughout the house.

Station Manager Steve Beard, who attended the incident, said: “The mirror in the bedroom redirected sunlight onto heavy drapes, which eventually caught alight.”

“At this time of year, the sun lies quite low in the sky and increases the likelihood of this happening. Although these incidents are relatively rare, we would urge residents to be aware of this issue and ensure that any magnifying mirrors or items containing lenses are moved away from direct sunlight.”

“Smoke detectors throughout the residence alerted the property’s owner to the fire. This enabled them to alert our Service quickly and limit fire damage within the property.”

 For further advice on fire safety in the home, please visit: http://ow.ly/SJSD30iR3sP