Key Fire Safety Points
These are some of the key areas Fire Safety Inspection Officers will look at during an inspection. Please note: this list is not exhaustive.
- That a competent Fire Risk Assessor has carried out a fire risk assessment of the premises;
- Compartmentation between flats and common areas and between corridors and stairs;
- That stairwells are maintained;
- Means of escape, for example, stairs, corridors and fire doors are clear and secure from smoke;
- That the final exit is easy to use, for example, no codes are required to open them, and they are well lit;
- That there is a maintained and tested alarm system;
- That fire doors are in good condition and maintained;
- That firefighter lifts are maintained;
- If the fire safety plan is suitable;
- What type of cladding system is on the building;
- If there are sprinklers, what location are they in and have they been tested and maintained.