Firefighters broke into a flat to stop a kitchen fire taking hold of the property

Fire warden officer.JPG

Firefighters broke into a flat to stop a kitchen fire taking hold of the property.

At 4.54pm on Wednesday, 23 August, Thames Valley Fire Control Service received reports of a kitchen fire in a flat on Northumberland Avenue in Reading.

Royal Berkshire Fire and Rescue Service crews from Whitley Wood, Wokingham Road and Maidenhead were sent to the scene.

Two firefighters in breathing apparatus used one hose reel to extinguish the fire. The fire was contained by the crews to two rooms. Firefighters were on the scene for just over 30 minutes.

Station Manager Dave Sharp, who attended the kitchen fire, said: “This incident reinforces the importance of never leaving cooking unattended.

“If you lose attention, a fire could easily spread and it could have damaging consequences.

“With the bank holiday weekend, just a few days away, we are urging residents to take care when cooking.”

For more information about cooking safely, please go to www.rbfrs.co.uk/your-safety/safety-at-home/.